Iron Sharpens Iron

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." ~Proverbs 27:17. I believe that Christians should all work to support one another, and I pray this blog provides a way for those of us in the faith to talk, laugh, and live. Christianity is fun, and I hope this will be an enjoyable place for all of us...

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Do We Remember? Or Are We Slipping Away?

It's hard to believe that it's been six years since the terrorist events of 9/11. Six years! September 11, 2001 was a day that had a tremendous impact on my life and on the lives of millions: I remember going to New York to see ground zero a couple weeks after 9/11...I'll never forget that horrible, putrid smell, or how solemn the lively city of New York became. I remember how patriotic and faith-seeking people became after 9/11, which was truly awe-inspiring and impressive. But here we are - six years later - and are we the same...or has it become 9/10 for us all over again?

We now seem to live in a country where Britney Spears' VMA performance is big-time news, where celebrity and money are revered, where Christian kids who turn 18 abandon their faith at alarming rates. What happened to us? Did we once again become complacent like we did before 9/11? Everyday I get the police reports of what happened the day before...and a lot of times it saddens me to see what people will do to one another: we have come to harbor hatred, violence, and disrespect. Psalm 33:12 says, "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord"...we need to get to that level once again...and it starts with each of us. I know it's easy to get caught up in life and busyness...but everyone remembers where they were the morning of September 11, 2001. Let's not forget that day...but most of all, let's not forget the lesson it taught us: we are not promised tomorrow, so let's live our lives for today as God intended it! We need to turn to God daily, for everything...we need to pray earnestly that His light would shine in our lives, that we would be a conduit for His message of love, mercy, forgiveness, and salvation. We all have hear 2 Chronicles 7:14, "If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land." Let's do what God is saying here...let's humble ourselves as a nation, let's seek God's face, let's turn from our wicked ways, and let's pray. Now more than ever, we need God to heal our land...

Another lesson learned, and let's not forget this, is sacrifice: we had many police, fire, and rescue workers who gave their time, and some their lives, to help pull people from the rubble. To them, I say thank you. God, may your hand of mercy and protection be upon police, fire, and military personnel around the country and around the globe...that you may be with them in times of danger as well as times of safety...give them the strength to protect us.

And to those who lost on that day: my prayers are with you, believe me. I hope that God strengthens you when the times become difficult and comforts you when you need rest. In the midst of tragedy, God can and does do mighty things - and I pray that the same would be done in your lives.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home